Antifreeze poisoning

By December 15, 2017 Uncategorized

With the cooler weather, please remember that antifreeze is toxic for our pets.  It causes potentially fatal kidney damage.  It has a not unpleasant taste which makes it even more dangerous as some cats and dogs enjoy the taste.  It is very quickly absorbed from the stomach and intestines so treatment involving 24 hour hospital care on IV fluids needs to be started as quickly as possible.  In addition to automotive antifreeze, the toxic compound ethylene glycol can also be found in a number of other places (information obtained from the ASPCA Poison Control website):

  • Hydraulic brake fluid
  • Home solar units
  • Portable basketball goal post bases
  • Printer’s and stamp pad inks
  • Some snow globes
  • Some eye masks

If you think your pet has ingested antifreeze or any other toxin, please seek veterinary care immediately.  Have a safe and happy holiday!