An article in this morning’s Hamilton Spectator warned that 3 more raccoons in Hamilton have tested positive for rabies. The tested raccoons were ones that were picked up dead on Friday. The article states some precautions to take during this time including keeping people and pets away from wild animals, ensure your pet’s rabies vaccines are up-to-date, and reporting any wild animal exposure to this number: 905-546- CITY (2489).
Rabies is a deadly virus that can be transmitted to both pets and people. We would like stress how important it is to stay away from wild animals, especially raccoons, as they can carry both the rabies and distemper virus. Distemper can also be transmitted to your pets. It is uncertain if people can become infected, but best practice is to keep your distance. The raccoon can also carry a bacteria called leptosporosis that can cause kidney failure in both pets and people. As well, they spread a parasite called baylisascaris (raccoon roundworm). The microscopic parasite egg is passed in the raccoon’s feces and survives in the environment for long periods of time. People, especially children, and pets are susceptible. The parasite can travel to the the eyes and brain and can be deadly.
To read the full spectator article from Dec 10 please click here
To read the full spectator article from Dec 4 please click here
to read more about Rabies in bats please click here